February 2, 2013

FIVE THINGS

Trying to start a business while you have multiple jobs, commitments and people to see is not an easy task. Holy moly it's not. And I don't even have kids to worry about. Sometimes I swear God gave some women 36 hour days without telling anyone else. 

My goal to open my own etsy shop/business has been interesting. I have realized I have a hard time making mistakes. This process has (very forcefully) slapped that right out of me. With a big gorilla sized hand. 
I've been trying to learn to take every road bump as a learning opportunity, but I have had some help with that! I want to share some things that have encouraged me along the way, and assisted in keeping me on the path to achieving little dreams. 

1. SET GOALS

If you are wanting to achieve something, a plan is necessary. Make it realistic. Set daily, weekly and monthly goals that are attainable. You will no doubt face hardships, so account for that! Don't set daily goals that are nearly impossible, or else you will continually feel defeated. 

For example, I have a daily goal of reading the bible so I can finish it in a year. A weekly goal of mine is to workout a minimum of 3 times. My monthly goals are focused on my business. Create 5 new pieces, have the etsy shop up, create a workspace, etc.  

2. DISPLAY YOUR GOALS 

I'm a visual learner, so if something isn't printed in big block letters in front of my face, I tend to forget it, ignore it, or make up excuses as to why I didn't do it. I made a sign in my room with my list of daily goals I will not sacrifice. (Bible reading plan, take vitamins, drink water, workout.) I force myself to accomplish this small list before I go to bed. (Personally, I function best when they are done immediately after I wake up.) I have to tell myself I will do these things even if it is 11pm.

3. LEARN FROM PROFESSIONALS

I used to view this as discouraging. I would research women who were doing what I wanted to do, and get mad that I wasn't in the same place they were. But they had to start somewhere! One of my favorite sources for encouragement is Lara Casey. She is the Editor of Southern Weddings magazine. She is a mother, believer, and entrepreneur. Boom. Her blog is motivation at its best. 


4. THIS BOOK

A Beautiful Mess: A Perfectionist's Journey Through Self-Care by Kristin Ritzau

Bean got me this book and it is unreal. For those of you who don't like making mistakes, saying no to people, or letting anyone down, READ IT READ IT READ IT READ IT READ IT. 

...now.

5.  PRAY

Sometimes I just pray for the desire to pray.  
:)







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment